For hot works tool steels application, we could supply some common tool steels, likesteel, steel and steel, and we could also supply AISI materials for your hot works applications.
AISIis a 4.75~5.5% chromium, general-purpose hot work steel. contains (0.2~0.5%) less vanadium than the widely-used H13 hot works tool steel (0.8~1.2%). ASTM/AISI Steel is a deep-hardening, air-hardening steel that exhibits minimal size change during heat treatmnet. H12 tool steel material has good resistance to thermal fatique cracking (heat cracking) and excellent resistnce to gross cracking and thermal shock when water cooled in service. So, we could say H-12 tool steel mainly has the following characteristics:
- Excellent resistance to wear, high strength at elevated temperature.
- Good homogenizing with high toughness.
- Extra- fine- structure without grain-boundary carbide.
- Inclusion shape controlled with high cleanliness.
1.ASTM H12 Tool Steel Supply Range
H-12 Steels Bar: diameter 8mm–1000mm
H12 Steel Flat: thickness 16-500mm x width 200-800mm
H12 Steels Plate: thickness 16-500mm x width 200-810mm
Other dimension according to your requirements
Surface Finish: Black, Rough Machined, Peeled, Turned or as per given requirements.
2.AISI H12 Tool Steels Standard and Relevant Steel Specifications
3.H12 Tool Steel and Equivalent Chemical Composition
|DIN ISO 4957||C||Mn||P||S||Si||Cr||V||W||Mo|
4. H12 Mechanical Properties
- Modulus of elasticity [103 x N/mm2]: 207
- Density [g/cm3]: 7.84
- Thermal conductivity [W/m.K]: 18.9
Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion 10-6 oC-1
5. Forging of H12 Tool Steel
Hot forming temperature: 1100-850oC.
6. H12 Tool Steel Heat Treatment
Heating Steel H-12 slowly and uniformly to 845~900℃, furnace cooling to 540℃ at a rate 10~20℃/hr. Hardness HB 229 max
Stress relieving to remove machining stresses should be carried out by heating H12 steel to approx.650oC, holding for 1-2 hours at heat, followed by air cooling. This operation is performed to reduce distortion during heat treatment.
- Preheating (1): Heat H-12 steel to approx. 540~650℃, holding 30 minutes per 25mm.
- Preheating (2): Heat H12 tool steels to approx. 845~870℃, holding 30 minutes per 25mm.
- Austenitizing: Heat steel H12 to approx. 1010~1050℃, holding 30 minutes per 25 mm.
- Quenchant: By oil or air.
Tempering temperature: 520-700oC, hold at least 2 hours, air cooling and double tempering.
7.Applications of AISI H12 Tool Steel
AISI H12 hot work tool steel is usually used for hot tooling applications where maximum resistance to cracking is required. Such typical applications include the following:
- Extrusion indushry: dies and inner liner for extrusion, extrusion tools
- Forging Industry: forming dies, press dies
- Die casting industry: dies for die-carbide
- Tool Industry: hot punch, hot shear blades, immediate roller for cold rolling
Otai steel is one leading supplier and exporter of H12 tool steel, H10/SKD7 tool steels, H13/SKD61 materials for your hot works tools uses. You please feel free to contact us for any of your requests. We are a better choice for you.